Kilmer v. Browning
Abe Paul and Ross Rhoades represented the parents of Richie Kilmer. Richie was a 21-year-old college student who was found dead in the home he was renting. The coroner concluded that Richie had died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The Paul Law Firm’s investigation concluded that the source of carbon monoxide was old rusty vent pipes, which the gas company had allegedly inspected and passed less than a month before Richie’s death. The case was complicated by a review of Richie’s medical history, which revealed that he was a hemophiliac who had contracted HIV through tainted factor eight, a protein that helps the clotting of blood. The jury awarded $300,000.00 to Richie’s parents, which, at the time, was believed to be the largest wrongful death verdict in the history of the 40th Judicial Circuit. The case was appealed to the Southern District Court of Appeals and the Missouri Supreme Court, where the verdict was upheld.